Wednesday, November 25, 2009

How to deal with a copycat?

I know that "imitation is the highest form of flattery", but I can't help that it grates at me when my boss's daughter shows up the later in the week with outfits nearly identical to the ones I had on two or three days ago.. colors, fabrics and all..



I'm an eclectic dresser and I don't follow trends at all, so my type of clothes wouldn't just be easily found in a store. I've always been complimented on having my own style. It didn't bother me when this (friendly) copycat asked for my fashion advice as she was the jeans-and-tee kind of girl. And I think she looks.. nice all dressed-up for a change- just.. she looks like my clone! She's even wearing her hair the same way now, among other subtleties.



Other people have noticed this and are laughing at her. I feel bad for her, but this copycat business is still irritating for me. Why is this bothering me? What should I do? Sometimes when I see her, I just want to pull a bag down over her outfit and run.



How to deal with a copycat?

Maybe you could help her find her own style since you have an eye for fashion. She may not know who she is yet and is intrigued by someone who is so secure in who they are. Take her shopping one day and make suggestions on what outfits would suit her best.



How to deal with a copycat?

when youre a trend setter.. people will bite you.



its the highest form of flattery..



people always want to bite what i do...djing and graffiti wise.. so its normal.



just let it go.



remind her constantly that you do realize shes bitin your style though. you can do that and not be rude.



let em know tho!



How to deal with a copycat?

I'd test my hopethesis first by coming in naked tomorrow morning. If she does the same next week, I'd start charging her a consultation fee.



How to deal with a copycat?

I'm not sure what bothers you so much about this. Here are a couple of possibilities.



Possibility number 1: You are afraid that people will think you're copying her.



I doubt this is true, because other people will surely have noticed that you wore something first. Chances are she's also trying to hang around you and get your attention in other ways, and people will observe that.



Possibility number 2: You think that you are the only person who has your fashion sense and you don't like the idea of not being unique.



This is basically an illusion put forward by the fashion industry. Their basic message is "Be yourself by buying our clothing (just like everyone else is being themselves by buying our clothing). So it's really not true in the first place. But don't worry. If people appreciate your fashion sense, they will recognize your creativity in it. Like you said, you've been complimented on having your own style, so why would that change now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
c++