Thursday, June 17, 2010

Bridal Portraits??

I've come to understand that bridal portraits are very big in the South. But, I don't understand the concept. So, the bride gets all dolled up in her dress during the weeks before her wedding. Takes loads of pictures of just herself and than displays them at her reception site. I don't understand.



Why would you want to ruin your wedding day, by having a complete dress rehearsal (dress, makeup, hair, shoes) before the big day. Doesn't it take some of the excitement out of it. Like seeing yourself on the actually date of your wedding, in your dress w/ hair %26amp; makeup done is a special once in a lifetime moment.



I'm from the Northeast, I've never seen bridal portraits. The brides gets her pictures taken the day off the wedding before/after ceremony.



Instead, the big trend up here is Engagement Photos. It seems much more equal than bridal portraits. The bridal portraits makes it seem like the brides day only. Engagement photos highlight the couple.



Bridal Portraits??

I am not entirely sure where or when the tradition started, but I do know why. The bride's family traditionally paid for everything, they were "giving their daughter away", etc. So, the portrait was traditionally taken for the bride's family to hang in their home.



Weddings in general used to be very much bride oriented. The ceremony was held in her home church, her side paid, etc. The trends have changed, and will keep changing.



It is now a tradition to display the portrait at the reception. I think this has a little practical value, because then you know which ballroom to go into, etc.



There are lots of traditions associated with weddings that are still followed closely that had very negative beginnings. The veil, for example, was a heavy lace that you could not see through, so that in arranged marriages, the groom could not back out. He only got to lift the veil after he said "I do". Most everyone wears a veil and never questions it.



A lot of my brides take the portrait because it comes with their photograpy pkg. anyway, and they like having the trial run on hair and makeup!



There are traditions in every region and culture that may seem strange to outsiders, but there are very emotional and familial feelings attached to them, so they do mean something to the people participating in them, and should be viewed with an open mind.



Bridal Portraits??

Do not worry about understanding it. Everyone does everything different and thats ok. I am from the south and it is the same as saying...Why do more people have indoor wedding then outdoor weddings. There is no answer other then it is the brides choice of what she wants to do. I personally am not having bridal pictures before and I am going to engagement pictures instead.



Bridal Portraits??

I AM ACTUALLY DOING THAT TOMORROW! I AM IN THE SOUTH.......TO ME ITS MORE LIKE A PRACTICE RUN WHAT IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE HAIRSTYLE YOU CHOSE MONTHS AGO AND SEEING YOU ALL DRESSED AND ACTUALLY WALKING AROUND IS WHAT MAKES YOU SEE THAT AND ITS LIKE THE LAST SINGLE PICS YOU TAKE I DONT PLAN ON HANGING ANY OF THESE AT THE RECEPTION ITS MORE FOR FAMILY AND YOUR FRIENDS!



Bridal Portraits??

I'm from the South and I have to agree with you on this one. Engagement photos are quite nice and emphasize the couple, not just one person. I attended a traditional southern wedding a few years back where the couple had a "slide show" on a small monitor that had different family pictures. (quite a nice way to remember loved ones who have passed and were missed at the wedding, I thought) and a few of the couple with friends, etc.



I think that whole thing about the wedding being just about the bride is really overdone, it should be about sharing the time with friends and family-- which in my opinion is a deeper southern tradition that should be honored more than bridal pictures.



Bridal Portraits??

I'm from Canada, and I don't see the point of that either. Even engagement photos are rarely done here, since they really don't serve any point - what you are waiting for are wedding photos!



Bridal Portraits??

1. Bride can give a portrait to the groom as her wedding gift to him.



2. Photos are immediately available for newspaper announcements of the wedding. No long waits for a photo to put in the paper after the wedding.



3. Engagement photos are taken in the South also. That is not just a Northern thing.



Bridal Portraits??

I had engagment photos and bridal photos. I think the bridal photos are done prior to keep the stress and photo time down the day of the wedding. I also used it as a dry run day on hair and makeup. I also saw how much time I needed to get ready and how hard my dress was to get on and off by myself. If you have this done, take a friend.



Bridal Portraits??

Life became much easier for me when I stopped expecting people to make sense.



People are not rational.



Stress is the gap between expectations and achievements; you can either lower your expectations or raise your achievements.



When you combine those two thoughts, you get the first one.



I'm so glad that you have so much leisure and grace that you can focus on such an important matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
c++